I blow too hard
You know, blowing too hard is one of my biggest problems as a flutist. It's left over from undergrad when all my teachers would ever say to me was "you have a small sound" or "you aren't projecting". Fact is, I did have a swallowed up sound back then since I played with my tongue in the back of my mouth. When Keith taught me to play with my tongue in the front of my mouth (what a concept, huh?) all of a sudden I had the big, projecting sound I'd always knew I had. However, the damage was done. I spent 5 years blowing my brains out (literally, haha) and a habit like that is so hard to break! I have a gorgeous sound, but there's a fine line between big and full and just plain ugly. I cross that line sometimes without intending too. I'm so concerned with getting the biggest fattest sound out of every single note that it prevents the shimmer. Now, interestingly enough, I do not force my high register. I mean, Keith has been telling me for 2 years now that I don't need to force the high register, so I don't. However, my mid and low register are forced regularly, and I don't need to. I have a big sound. I project. My sound is so pretty when I don't force that it's as pretty as Julius Baker's I think. What a concept, huh? However, it doesn't come out enough because I force when I need not. Something to work on, huh?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home