I play with a lot of vibrato
I finally picked up my master's recital CD. I actually didn't want to hear it for a long time because the only thing I could think about after my recital were technical mistakes I made. However, I've been really wanting to hear it now for a couple weeks. My immediate observations are that my recital was ACTUALLY pretty good! I don't like my Mozart - I'm blowing too hard and forcing my sound. I also don't like my Barber canzone too much because it was towards the end of my recital and I ran out of breath at one point and even played a wrong note (though the funny thing is that I think it sounds more "right" than the correct one)
I LOVE my Chant de Linos - aside from a couple technical blips (which I'm allowed, ok?!!) it's really good. The only thing that distresses me a little is that I'm playing with way too wide a vibrato in the first slow section. Its kind of obnoxious actually. To be honest, I noticed this throughout my recital CD. Keith and I have worked so hard on me having a steady FAST vibrato, but it's time for me play around a little more with the width. However, in the 2nd mvt of the Godard, it's actually funny to play me and then something lyrical (like Apres Un Reve) by Julius Baker back to back. I sound very much like Baker, vibrato and all! Baker varies the width of his vibrato more and I want that.
Aside from vibrato that's a little too wide at times and occasional forcing, my tone is absolutely GORGEOUS! It's huge and shimmery and has a lot of overtones! I have come so far in my Master's degree - it's amazing. Keith's teachings are amazing. And the awesome thing is that I'm still learning and making changes.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home